Saturday 8 March 2014

LAST NIGHT.


LAST NIGHT.

It was only the 3rd round and I already felt my bones were too weak to continue. We still had four more rounds to go, but I wasn’t sure I could wait to see the last bout. I had been lying in the sofa with my eyes glued to the TV set, waiting for that moment when Thomas would be declared the winner. He has always been my favourite boxer, and this night he was fighting for the heavyweight championship.

       Suddenly I saw it coming, and like a splash Johnson was squealing on the floor of the ring, the low jab from Thomas was so hard that even Mohammed Ali would have fallen for it.

       Is this bout going to end in a knockout? I wondered, as the umpire counted 4…5…6…7… The excitement was already building and I can see the smile on Thomas’s face. Suddenly Johnson moved and gradually he got back to his feet. He fought hard, and to the amazement of all, he clinched the title in the 7th round, after he left Thomas sprawling on the floor from a fast upper cut.

      Thomas lost lots of his fans after that night. According to him, he thought it was all over in the 3rd round; he thought he had already won, but he eventually lost.

      After listening to his loser’s speech that night, I realized I was still far from my destiny, no matter the lot I might have achieved so far, I can still be toppled. The fight made me understand that being better is of no use, if I can be the best. 

 

Augustus C.

07033000052

©2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment